Former Owls defender Lee Bullen is in his third stint as a caretaker manager, following the recent departure of Steve Bruce.
Bullen played over 130 games for the Owls in four years. The Scot then went to play for Falkirk for a further three years, before Lee ended up back at Middlewood in 2011 as he took up a Head Coach role for the Owls development squad.
Stuart Gray became the Owls boss in December 2013, where Bullen became a part of the first-team coaching setup, where he has remained since.
Bullen has seen a total of 4 managers come and go during his four years as part of the first-team coaching setup, the most recent being Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce.
As the Owls search & consider candidates for the vacant managerial position, the former defender’s name has surfaced the internet majorly, which has caused some controversy and questions between Owls supporters. Lee can be considered a “club legend” after his time here, and some do not want him to lose his status if things do not go right should he be appointed the permanent boss. Others are just unsure whether he is experienced enough to take a club to the Premier League, which must be Wednesday’s targets for the coming season.
From a personal point of view, I think Bullen should be appointed permanent boss, however, this may only be a temporary appointment to see how he does. Should he do as expected, he will remain; however, if the Owls are dropping unnecessary points an experienced manager should be appointed. Names such as Chris Hughton, Gary Monk & Tony Pulis are appearing around Social Media.
Here’s why I’d like Bullen to be given a chance;
- Bullen knows our players.
- The current squad has minimal changes to the squad fielded in the widely-remembered 2015/16 season, which Bullen was hugely apart of, therefore Bullen has seen these players play football for multiple years and can use that to help him.
- He is passionate.
- Whilst passion, of course, doesn’t win you games, it can win the players. In other words, this man will take no crap. He wants the best for the club, the fans, and the players. He’s Wednesday through and through, he bleeds blue & white.
- He has seen multiple managers during his stint as a coach at the Owls.
- Bullen has seen managers come & go and has most certainly seen the way they run the club as boss. Wednesday have had some good & bad experiences with their managers, and he can definitely take that into thought when fulfilling his duties. He isn’t a silly man.
Of course, many will disagree, however, only time will tell. The one thing we must say is that whoever becomes the permanent appointment should get full respect from all of the true Wednesday fans. We must support whoever is in charge as well as the team.
Dejphon Chansiri has a tuff decision to make. The fans asked him to get rid of Jos Luhukay, he did just that, they asked him to appoint Bruce, he did just that. Now SB has completely disrespected our players, fanbase, and especially our owner, he needs to make sure he has a passionate and loyal manager come in and take the role. The fans need to support Chansiri regardless of who he appoints, he loves this club.